Jasper School Superintendent Dr. Candra Brasel reported a major propane leak at the Jasper campus Friday night, Feb. 19. In a message sent out to patrons, the superintendent asked that no one come on campus for any reason until further notice. A follow up message was sent out at 5 p.m. Saturday announcing that it was safe to return to the campus.
Classes had been suspended at the school due to snow and freezing weather conditions last week. The campus was open for returning students Monday.
The propane is used to heat facilities. It was noted that pilot lights had been relit and the system was tested. "There may be some lingering smell of propane here and there, but nothing to be concerned about," the statement read.
The Jasper Police and Fire departments responded to the incident. The school's maintenance crew, was able to repair the leak.
The Jasper School District Board of Education had postponed its regular monthly meeting to Monday, Feb. 22, from Monday, Feb. 15. Dr. Brasel announced Monday morning that the meeting date had been moved again to Tuesday, Feb. 23.