16 properties sent to DC, 1 new approved listing, and 3 added to Arkansas Register
LITTLE ROCK—The State Review Board of the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program met on Wednesday, April 3. The Department of Arkansas Heritage (DAH) is pleased to announce that all 16 Arkansas have been sent to the National Park Service in Washington, DC, for consideration.
The properties include:
National Old Line Insurance Company Building in Little Rock, Pulaski County, a 1953-1954 and 1965 International-style office building.
Arkansas Territorial Restoration Historic District in Little Rock, Pulaski County, a district significant as an early historic preservation project in the state.
Empire Life Insurance Company of America Building in Little Rock, Pulaski County, a notable example of the International style designed by Wittenberg, Delony and Davidson, and built in 1959-1960.
Morris House in Lonoke, Lonoke County, a large-scale Mid-Century Modern house built in 1963 and designed by architect Fred Perkins.
Central Avenue Historic District Additional Documentation in Hot Springs, Garland County, an update to the National Register nomination for the Central Avenue Historic District.
Mt. Olive Cemetery in the Mount Vernon vic., White County, an 1890s African-American cemetery that is still used for burials today.
Museum of Automobiles in the Winrock vic., Conway County, a 1964 building by architect Dietrich Neyland that employs an unusual tensile cable structural system.
Norwood House in Russellville, Pope County, a 1917 house with Prairie and Craftsman-style characteristics.
Jonesboro United States Post Office and Courthouse in Jonesboro, Craighead County, a 1913 post office building designed in the Renaissance style.
Temple Beth El Cemetery in Helena-West Helena, Phillips County, a cemetery significant for its associations with Helena’s Jewish community.
R. A. Pickens, II, House in Pickens, Desha County, a c.1940 Colonial Revival-style house.
Yadkin Church in the Ravenden Springs vic., Randolph County, a c.1894 one-room church that is one of the last vestiges of the Yadkin community.
Our Lady of the Ozarks Shrine in the Winslow vic., Crawford County, a significant Catholic pilgrimage site with a 1944 stone church..
Muxen Building in the Winslow vic., Crawford County, a 1940s building built to serve as a craft school for local residents.
Ben Johnson, II, Homestead District in Fayetteville, Washington County, an early-twentieth-century fruit farm.
Ellis Building in Fayetteville, Washington County, a c.1923 automobile sales and service building.
During the meeting the State Review Board also approved the addition of the Murphy-Jeffries Building in Little Rock, Gillham School in Gillham, and the Heffelfinger-Freund House in Fayetteville to the Arkansas Register.
DAH is also pleased to share that Arkansas has a new National Register listing. While the nomination forms were approved in March, DAH was just alerted this week by the National Park Service. The listing is for the Meadow Springs Historic District in Washington County. The properties are bounded by School Street, Locust and Church Avenues, between West Dickson Street and West Mountain in Fayetteville.
National Register of Historic Places listings and nomination forms can be found through the DAH website at https://bit.ly/2I96ISP. The AHPP is the Department of Arkansas Heritage division responsible for identifying, evaluating, registering and preserving the state’s cultural resources. Other divisions are the Arkansas Arts Council, the Delta Cultural Center in Helena, the Old State House Museum, the Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission, the Mosaic Templars Cultural Center, the Historic Arkansas Museum and the Arkansas State Archives.